Prayer Meetings (PMs)

I could not find much info off the internet surprisingly when I searched for terms like
“prayer meeting” or “prayer groups”.

I’m trying to make sense of the weekly prayer meeting which the churches I’ve been to encourage us to go to, yet so few attends. Few as in like about 30 out of a congregation of

maybe 1000, 3%. So where is the other 97%? I have been so several PM before in my ex church in my youth days.

The order of events are like:
1. Sing Hymns (10 mins)
2. Brief Exhortation (25mins)
3. Thanksgiving (20 mins)
4. Breakout group prayer (25mins)
Total = 1h 20mins.

My Current Church Prayer Meeting is similar except #4.
1. Sing Hymns (10 mins)
2. Brief Exhortation (25mins)
3. Thanksgiving (20 mins)
4. Chairman assign leaders for various prayers.
Total = 1h 20mins.

Let’s compare that to a typical Sunday worship from time perspective
1045h – Worship services starts
– Hymns
– Bible Reading
– Offerings
– Pastor or assigned lead in corporate prayer
1115h – Sermon
1200h – End
Total time = 1h 15 mins.

So time wise, they are similar to a Sunday worship service. Let’s put other people out of scope.
Let’s just focus on myself. Me and my God.

What does the bible says about prayer meeting or group prayer that I know of?
1. Matthew 20:18
– For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
2. 1 Thess 5:17
– In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
3. Jesus prayed often with his discples.
– I know he was praying in the garden of Gethsamane with his disciples, where they fell asleep, and where he was betrayed.
– Jesus always pray and give thanks before meals.
Refer to (1)Last Supper (2)Feeding of the thousands
4. Jesus taught how to pray – Matthew 6:9-13 and Luke 11:1-4
5. Acts 12:12 – Peter went to the house of Mary where others gathered for prayer.
6. Acts 1:13-14 – scripture records that all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women.
7. 2 Chronicles 6:13-42 records Solomon praying as all Israel gathered around.

What MADE me want to attend the PM?
There must be reasons why anybody would want to do anything right? Or at least if it was commanded?
So I went and have a go for 2 times. So I’d be honest here, not that I would lie.. God forbid!
1. I was told I should attend.
2. I want to know more about prayer.
3. I want to know more people in Church.
4. I want to experience prayer meeting
5. My dad attends.
6. Somebody asked me if I attend, I felt guilty saying “no”. And why not and I went on and on.

What made me WANT to attend now?
1. I felt good because I feel it is doing the will of God
2. I’m learning how to pray from the leaders
3. I listen to the thanksgiving and feel edified.
4. My dad is with me, and I feel happy.
5. I enjoy the hymns.
6. I enjoy the exhortations.

Is there anything I did not enjoy at the PM?
I would be a liar if I said I enjoyed every moment of it entirely.
1. Duration – Seriously, I cannot see how it can be shortened. Maybe.
2. Thanksgiving – Some are pretty self centered, seems to me obligated. Then again, thanksgiving is about what God has done for you ain’t it?! Fine.
3. The pews – I have a bad back. But there are more oldies there ain’t complaining, so shut up.

How did I overcome my negatives?
1. I feel I am doing the right thing at the right place!
Many of us feel pain when we start to exercise, but we know is the right thing to do. The persistence will turn to joy as we continue in it.
2. My focus is on God.
Hey, at least those folks went up and thank God! What am I doing? Just seating there and listening getting edified.

What do I want to do next?
1. I want to give thanks. But if the leaders are not giving thanks, why… I’m shy.
2. Stay back for fellowship with the folks… my kids and wife are waiting at home, ok maybe just for a short while.
3. Find out more about Prayer Meetings.

Well, this is just the start of my journey into group prayer outside of my family. I certainly want to do the will of my Heavenly Father, and constant prayer be it single or group is definately one of them. 🙂

Advertisements

~ by ymsim on 2010/02/18.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: